Thursday 1 April 2010

The Cause of War

The cause of war I might well say, is never very far away
When communication's down and frowns are all we wear
It sneaks into the unknown ground and makes it's deals right there
It's silver tongue gets everyone involved inside a snare

The history books tell it so well, we should not need reminding
That at each turn with bridges burned, mutual hate was binding
Us into a fearful state as war was all we were finding
The black night had stol'n our sight and to our fates was blinding

I had a friend, a friend so true, we'd see any situation through
We were two lines but then one time, our nation split our lives in two
For country for creed for some stupid need, we were forced to bear emnities
Each fight against him we found it a sin and wished to return to our pleasantries

So make a prayer before the end I called to the other barrio
We cannot waste this precious time, make haste and do not tarry-o
And in that dark, we lit a spark, each from opposing sides married-o
And for an instant's link was made whilst the bullets o'er head did harry-o

And when the time came for the push I went, my head was fazing
Over we went, my mind was spent, my thoughts they stopped their racing
And in that hell of lead-shot rain, I heard my name, then stabbing pain
I fell into the mud to lay as the grenades and gunshot went blazing

And as I lay I had a dream such as like I have never seen
And saw them freely speaking lies, oh so many worm-tongues squeaking
The cause of war that we deplore is manufactured hate
I woke to wish these lies untied, but I just lay there bleeding

Now others on that stinking bridge were watching all the while in dread
For any who would come the way, cross No Man's Land by orders led
"Avaunt take Heed to this Decree", it was a Spirit speaking
A comet sped over our heads, across the sky went streaking

All soldiers stood in holy awe, they could not fire a shot no more
The Spirit spoke and it spoke strong, it spoke of that which they did long
Equanimity and family, to be free from political intrigue
And with it's voice it gave a choice, which to a man did please

Whose was this voice you may well ask? Who was this commanding Spirit?
That non-corporeal had them held, then took their lost soul and filled it?
It was the fact of all who'd died led by mendacity madness
The jaws of war could make gore no more, the claws could cause no sadness

No comments: