Wednesday 3 December 2014

Green Grow the Rushes Oh

GREEN GROW THE RUSHES OH
GREEN GROW THE RUSHES OH
GREEN GROW THE RUSHES OH
RUSH ALL OVER ME

I went down to the border in spring
To see what pretty girls I might find
I looked here, I looked there
I looked almost everywhere
Perhaps I was just wasting my time

I jumped from train to train
Trying to find that girl
I looked under rocks and stones
I looked inside telephones
But I never found those charming eyes

I met a traveler on the road
He said 'There's someone after you
Look where the meadow is green
Trace the tracks where you have been
All you need is time and it's waiting'

I went to the river to wash my hair
Maybe find someone lying there
My hope was nearly gone
But the river went flowing on
And I called this out into the air

I went down to the sea
Just to see what might be
Anyone would do by now
Then not much to my surprise
A hundred hags stared me in the eyes

Well the clouds roll by
And my mind rolls up
Waiting is such a dull old game
And then I started to dream
All I saw were those rushes green

Now I'm a hundred and four
Won't grow old any more
But I found my green~eyed maid
She followed the tracks I had made
We met down by the rushes green







No comments: